Vacation or Secondary Home Insurance Coverage  

Your vacation home is your getaway, a wonderful place to relax and unwind. But it does come with unique risks. That means you need the best secondary home insurance coverage possible to protect your house, so it always feels like home.


At Avery Insurance, we are licensed to provide primary and secondary home coverage throughout the country and overseas. Having one agent handling all your personal insurance needs can help ensure that you have the proper coverage without overpaying. We have the expertise and appointments with national carriers that enable us to put together customized, competitive insurance programs for all your personally held properties.



Request Coverage


What’s Considered a Secondary Home?
A secondary home is a residence you intend to occupy for part of the year in addition to a primary residence. It is usually used as a vacation home, but it could also be a property that you regularly visit for other reasons. You must have sole control over the property, meaning that it cannot be a full-time rental, timeshare, or managed by a property management company.

Is There Different Insurance Coverage Needed to Protect Primary vs. Secondary Homes?
While the homeowner coverage forms used are generally similar, the limitations and exclusions in a policy may differ. It is important to review the intended use, value, and location to secure the correct coverage.


Comprehensive Secondary Home Insurance Policies Designed for YOU


The insurance policy you need will depend on many factors. It’s important to understand that insurance needs for a first-time home buyer will vary greatly from the insurance needs of someone with established and growing wealth or someone who is entering retirement. Typically, the following types of protections are options in a home insurance policy:

Protection for Your Dwelling
This is the portion of a policy that covers the cost to repair or rebuild the actual structure (main house) if it’s damaged or destroyed by an event covered by your policy.



Protection for Other Structures
This covers any structure on your property that is not permanently attached to your house, like fencing, driveways, sidewalks, and detached buildings like sheds and garages. Usually this coverage is 10% of whatever your dwelling limit is, but can be increased if you need more coverage.



Protection for You and Other People
Most home insurance policies provide some Personal Liability Coverage that helps protect you if someone is injured or their property is damaged and you are to blame. This coverage generally applies anywhere in the world. We always recommend our clients consider an umbrella policy, which is an additional layer of Personal Liability Coverage, as the limits on your home insurance policy may not be sufficient.



Medical Coverages
This covers medical expenses for guests if they are injured on your property, and in certain cases covers people who are injured off your property. However, it does not cover health care costs for you or other members of your household.

Additional Living Expenses
If you can’t live in your home because of a covered loss, your home insurance policy will pay additional living expenses (commonly for up to 24 months) while damage is assessed and your home is repaired or rebuilt.



Protection for Your Belongings
Your home is filled with furniture, clothing, electronics, and other items that mean a lot to you. Personal Property Insurance helps replace these items if they are lost, stolen, or destroyed as a result of a covered loss.



Scheduled Personal Property Coverage
If you have special possessions such as jewelry, art, antiques, or collectibles you may want to consider this additional coverage. It provides broader coverage for specific items.


Let's Talk Home Insurance

Avery Insurance can help you find the best homeowner’s insurance that will meet your needs while providing the most valuable combination of tailored coverage, quality service, and competitive pricing. In addition to home insurance, we also provide auto insurance and recreational vehicle insurance so you can conveniently bundle all your needs together. As independent agents, we can help advise you on the various levels of coverage and limitations from the top-rated companies in the market place.

Start The Process

Office Locations


We’re an independent insurance agency founded in 1899 with local roots in New Hampshire providing insurance coverage across the country in 39 states (and growing).

Contact Photo

Wolfeboro Office

21 S Main St, Wolfeboro, NH 03894


603.569.2515 (p)
603.569.4266 (f)

Business Hours

Monday 8:30am–5:00pm
Tues-Fri 9:00am–5:00pm
Contact Photo

Portsmouth Office

7 Islington St #102, Portsmouth, NH 03801


603.766.3733 (p)
603.569.4266 (f)

Business Hours

Monday 8:30am–5:00pm
Tues-Fri 9:00am–5:00pm