Home Insurance

Home Insurance Coverage

Your home is likely one of your most valuable assets. That means you need the best home insurance coverage possible to protect your investment.
But not all home insurance policies are created equal. They can differ by:

  • Which losses are covered
  • The location of your property
  • Which coverages you choose
  • The type of residence you live in

There are also renters insurance and condo insurance policies available.

Home Coverage Insurance Definitions

A standard home insurance policy will protect your home and the items within your dwelling. Most importantly, the right home insurance coverage can help protect you financially if you suffer a loss due to:

  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Floods
  • Freezing pipes
  • Other sudden or accidental accidents

It can also cover you if someone is injured while on your property and pursues legal action against you.

The Home Insurance Policy for You

The insurance policy you need will depend on many factors. It’s important to understand that insurance needs for a first-time home buyer will vary greatly from the insurance needs of someone with established and growing wealth or someone who is entering retirement.

Typically, the following types of protections are options in a home insurance policy:

Protection for Your Dwelling
This is the portion of a policy that covers the cost to repair or rebuild the actual structure (main house) if it’s damaged or destroyed by an event covered by your policy.

Protection for Other Structures
This covers any structure on your property that is not permanently attached to your house, like fencing, driveways, sidewalks, and detached buildings like sheds and garages. Usually this coverage is 10% of whatever your dwelling limit is, but can be increased if you need more coverage.

Protection for You and Other People
Most home insurance policies provide some Personal Liability Coverage that helps protect you if someone is injured or their property is damaged and you are to blame. This coverage generally applies anywhere in the world.

We always recommend our clients consider an umbrella policy, which is an additional layer of Personal Liability Coverage, as the limits on your home insurance policy may not be sufficient.

Medical Coverages
This covers medical expenses for guests if they are injured on your property, and in certain cases covers people who are injured off your property. However, it does not cover health care costs for you or other members of your household.

Additional Living Expenses
If you can’t live in your home because of a covered loss, your home insurance policy will pay additional living expenses (commonly for up to 24 months) while damage is assessed and your home is repaired or rebuilt.

Protection for Your Belongings
Your home is filled with furniture, clothing, electronics, and other items that mean a lot to you. Personal Property Insurance helps replace these items if they are lost, stolen, or destroyed as a result of a covered loss.

Scheduled Personal Property Coverage
If you have special possessions such as jewelry, art, antiques, or collectibles you may want to consider this additional coverage. It provides broader coverage for specific items.


The Right Coverage. The Right Price. The Right Value.

Avery Insurance can help you find the best homeowner’s insurance that will meet your needs while providing the most valuable combination of tailored coverage, quality service, and competitive pricing. In addition to home insurance, we also provide auto insurance and recreational vehicle insurance so you can conveniently bundle all your needs together.

As independent agents, we can help advise you on the various levels of coverage and limitations from the top-rated companies in the market place.

Let’s Get Started

Begin the Conversation with our Insurance Professionals
Get Started