Pull the Plug on Electrical Fires
Electrical fires rank third highest in direct property damage, averaging more than $575 million a year, according to the National Fire Protection Association. In addition, they cause about 1,500 injuries and 340 deaths annually.
The key to preventing an electrical fire is maintenance – inspecting your property regularly for hazards such as overloaded electrical circuits, frayed or cracked cords, improperly installed outlets and loose connections.
Other safety tips include:
- Avoid placing computers or other electronic equipment in cabinets without ample airflow
- Don’t overload outlets – use a power strip with its own circuit breaker
- Keep space heaters, hot lamps, and other heat-producing items away from walls, curtains and furniture
- Do not cover extension cords with rugs or curtains
- Make sure that light bulbs are the correct wattage for fixtures
For further information on insuring your home against electrical fires, contact an agent at Avery Insurance today!