When you’re planning for a move, keep in mind that almost everything will take longer to do than you expect. The best way to keep on track is to plan ahead and stay organized. Try this helpful checklist.
6-8 Weeks Before
- Line up movers.
- Look into truck rental prices, if you’re doing it yourself.
- Make an inventory of everything you own.
- Decide what goes in the truck, car, or trash.
- Consider where you want to place furniture in your new home
- Transfer your children’s academic records to their new school.
- Transfer medical records to your new doctor.
4 Weeks Before
- Reserve a truck or trailer for a DIY move.
- Confirm the booking with your moving company.
- Arrange to have the movers come over two days before moving day, if they are packing for you.
- Get boxes and packing tape, if you are doing it yourself • Start packing out-of-season clothing and other items you won’t need right away.
- Fill out change-of-address cards at the post office.
- Pre-order appliances, furniture, dishes, and cutlery.
- Go through the Change of Address Checklist
- Make copies of important papers, such as birth certificates, passports, medical and dental records
3 Weeks Before
- Arrange to have the utilities disconnected a few days after the move.
- Get the utilities set up at your new residence.
- Start packing room by room.
- Schedule a babysitter on moving day if you need one.
2 Weeks Before
- Arrange to move plants and pets.
- Get rid of items you’re not allowed to move, such as gasoline and propane.
- Line up helpers to assist with loading your rental truck.
- Consider hiring a plumber or electrician to disconnect appliances you plan to move.
1 Week Before
- Open your new bank accounts if you’re making a long-distance move.
- Make sure you have enough medication to last through the move.
- Have your doctor write a new prescription you can fill after you move.
- Defrost the refrigerator two days before you move.
Avery Insurance can help you find the best homeowner’s insurance to meet your needs while providing the most valuable combination of tailored coverage, quality service, and competitive pricing.
In addition to home insurance, we also provide auto insurance and recreational vehicle insurance so you can conveniently bundle all your needs together.
As independent agents, we can help advise you on the various levels of coverage and limitations from the top-rated companies in the marketplace. Give us a call today! 800-759-7579